Crowds gather at Castle Combe - SJN Photography

Crowds gather at Castle Combe

A packed out days racing around Castle Combe provided the entertainment for the spectators..

8 Formulae qualified before lunch with a wide variety of cars, from GT cars like the Mclaren and Noble to Formula Fords. The day also featured guest appearance from the 750 Motor Club’s Hot Hatch, Type R Trophy, Sports Specials, Ma7da and BMW Car Club.

The Formula Fords provided two close races as ever. The top five broke away from the pack with Josh Fisher leading the way for the first five laps before Luke Cooper made his move on lap 6 to win by 2 seconds in the end with Felix Fisher finishing a close third behind his brother Josh. The second race was on a drying track with a few drivers finding the damp patches. The top 5 again broke away with Luke Cooper doing the double with Neil Maclennan in second and Felix Fisher getting the better of his brother to round off the podium. 

The Castle Combe hot hatch challenge featured a grid of 21 cars with some doing the double and racing in the 750 Motor Club Hot Hatch rounds. Chris Southcott won in dominant fashion by a massive 39 seconds to second place Joe Dorrington with Sam Stride rounding off the overall podium. Tony Cooper was victorious in Class B and will feature again in the 750MC rounds later in the day.

In the Castle Combe Saloon championship it was the battle of the Prebble brothers out front with Adam getting the better of Gary for his third win to date, less then a second separated the pair out front with Simon Thornton-Norris finishing on the podium after Alex Kite hit troubles in his Audi TT. Matthew Parr finished 8th overall and first in class C with Ray Ferguson winning class D down in 24th overall.

The GT Championship features an eclectic mix of cars from Mclarens to Mini’s and BMWs. The race started with a battle between the Noble of Kevin Jones and the Mclaren of Lucky Khera. Jones hit trouble in the Noble forcing retirement allowing Khera to ease to victory by 21 seconds from David Krayem in his Chrysler Viper. Oliver Bull rounding off the podium in his Vauxhall Tigra and winning class A. Class D was won by Castle Combe regular Ilsa Cox with Jamie Sturges close behind.

The GT Challenge sponsored my ME7 held a 30 minute race with the winner receiving £1000 prize money and class winners taking £250. The race was held after a heavy downpour with the sun starting to break through some drivers gambled on slicks at the start. Craig Dolby in his Nissan GTR ran on wets which was the right choice. Dolby was rapid lapping the whole field and claiming a comfortable victory, behind Lucky Khera survived a spin at bobbies to finish ahead of Jones in his Noble. Class winners included Kasver Sapra in his BMW E92 for class E, Class B went to Charles Hyde-Andrews-Bird and Class D went to Del Brett in a Porsche Boxster.

The BMW car club boasted a grid of 31 cars for its second round of 2019. It was former BTCC driver Rick Kerry who had fixed issues with his car and took double victory. Gary Hufford finished 2nd with Chris Bialan rounding out the podium beating Donington winner Michael Cutt. In the M2 class Graham Crowhurst led the majority of the race until 2 laps from the end a car failure but him out, this allowed Paul Cook to win. The 6 class was won by Darren Ball finishing 9th overall. The Cup class saw Matt Page win and finish 16th overall.

The Hot Hatch Championship saw a change at the top with Ben Rushworth having a battle with Castle Combe regulars Gary Prebble and Christ Southcott. The race featured two heavy downpours leading to tricky conditions to contend with. The race was a close affair with Prebble and Southcott nose to tail for much of the race, with Prebble coming out on top. Rushworth rounded off the podium 6 seconds behind. In Class B Martin Ward tackled the tricky conditions and was victorious finishing 6th overall. In Class C Ian Williamson continued his form from Brands winning Class C from team mate Chris Woods. The Type R Trophy saw Mervyn Beckett win with an 11 second gap back to Jon Peerless and Stu Neale finishing in 3rd. The second race was held in glorious sunshine, the start saw Rushworth, Prebble and Southcott battle for the lead. Rushworth this time got into the lead, but he couldn’t pull away. Two laps from the end a power steering failure allowed Prebble to gain the lead as Rushworth and Southcott had a coming together at Quarry putting Southcott out of the race. Prebble won by 3 tenths from Rushworth with Ben Leach rounding off the podium. In Class B Martin Ward was looking comfortable for another race win until the exhaust fell off causing a retirement, this allowed Sacha Kakad to win class B. Class C was won by David Drinkwater after Ian Williamson had to retire with a car failure. The Type R Trophy saw Beckett win again from Peerless and Neale.

The Sports Specials and Ma7da grid finished their first race just before the downpour. Castle Combe proved a happy hunting ground for Martin Gambling winning in both outings. Paul Boyd finished the first race in 2nd place, with Lee Emm winning class B and finishing on the overall podium in third. Stewart Mutch in his fire breathing MEV MX150R finished 4th and winner of Class C. In the Ma7da series it was Matt Cherrington who was victorious beating Brands Hatch winner Ben Powney. Oliver Batten put his Brands Hatch disaster behind him to claim 3rd. Race two saw Gambling race off into the distance, Boyd having retired at the start. Lee Emm went one better and took 2nd overall behind him was Stewart Mutch making the overall podium. The Ma7da series saw Powney back to winning ways with Matt Cherrington and Lee Dolby rounding off the podium places.


Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In