Oulton Park hosted the 750 Motor Club

The 750 Motor Club hosted a 9-race programme at Oulton Park, just six days after the conclusion of the mammoth summer festival for the club at Donington Park. Four of the five categories boasted 30+ car grids, which was always going to make a fabulous day of racing in picturesque Cheshire.

The Demon Tweeks / Yokohama Locost Championship provided two cracking races. The tight, twisty nature of Oulton Park didn’t stop overtaking galore. Championship rivals Louis Wall and Tom Gadd took a win apiece. Wall winning the opener by just 0.08 seconds over Gadd, with Murray Shepherd third.

Gadd held off a last gasp effort from reigning champion Mark Burton in race two, where Burton came barrelling up the outside into Lodge. Burton held on to second in a near photo-finish with both Wall and Shepherd. Karl Ruijsenaars and Martin West completed the top six and finished within two thirds of a second to the winner in an extraordinary finish to a fantastic race.

Mike Cutt and Rick Kerry both took their fourth M1 wins of the season in the BMW Car Club Racing Championship, but it was invitational racer Michael Pensavalle that won race two overall. Paul Cook returned with a double M2 victory – beating Graham Crowhurst. Darren Ball and Jim Benson won in the tightly contested class 6, while Matt Page extended his championship lead with two more Cup victories.

Andy Hiley placed himself in a strong championship position in the Protech Shocks Sports Specials Championship when he won twice. Paul Boyd raced well on his Oulton debut to a couple of podiums after a poor Qualifying. He and Martin Gambling scored a second and third apiece. Chris Pyke won twice in class B, as did Micky Scott in class C. Ben Powney failed to make it a Ma7da Locost double when he scattered the circuit furniture at the Shell Oils Hairpin in the opener, handing the win to Oliver Batten.

Drama started the RLM Racing Bikesports opener when Josh Smith and Charles Hall clashed at Dentons – firing Hall heavily into the Armco barriers. That allowed class C racer Scott Mittell to win twice, after Smith was found to be underweight in race two. Joe Lock took a couple of class A wins. Joe Stables raced fantastically from the back to win both class B races, which is enough for him to provisionally wrap up the overall title.

The smallest Tegiwa Club Enduro grid of the season still had 35 entries but Carl Swift dominated the opening half and was ably assisted by Rob Baker in the second hour for the pair to win in their Seat Leon. Baker was chased at the end by Owen Fitzgerald – leaving Fitzgerald and team-mate Rory Hinde just four seconds behind at the end. Will Ashmore and Matty Taylor took a maiden podium for the Army Motorsport Team. Joe Taylor impressively limped round for the whole race to score points with a broken gearbox, bringing him on equal pegging for the class title as Luke Sedzikowski had to retire early on.

Overall championship leader Steve Cheetham retired after just 11 laps when he crabbed into the pit lane with suspension failure. That allowed the Honda NSX duo of Chris Nylan and Adam Burgess to dominate class B, despite a similar issue towards the end. Pip Hammond stormed to second after a mid-race Safety Car, in the Porsche Boxster he shares with Gavin Johnson. Luke Handley beat Michael Downie to third.

Brake failure for Nick Dougill was tragedy after such a strong first-stint for team-mate John Munro. That allowed Andrew Lightstead and Imran Khan to win class C. Sam McKee fought past Darren Kell in the final stages, to give himself and Adam Mealand second place.

Report: Josh Barrett

Photos: Michael Barrett

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In